The Finance Corps is the first Army Corps to be established.
Ioannis Kapodistrias, with the establishment of the Regular Army in 1828, attended to the foundation of the first Finance Corps under the name General School. The aim of the School was to “watch for and to confirm, by means of comparison, the economy and the financial affairs of all services, those that deal with war”, as is characteristically mentioned in his Introductory Report.
In 1834 a reestablishment of the Finance Corps took place under the name “Military Accounts Department”. Its duty was to process all accounts of the army, the editing of reports, the roundup of accounts for financial and accounting reports of the Secretariat and the registration of money business of the Corps.
In 1852 the relative Regulation was published which determines in details the manner of financial inspections conduct, based on the programming drafted by the Minister of the Army in the beginning of each year.
In 1882, with the Prime Minister Trikoupis, the Corps operates immiscibly under the name Financial Division.
Under 1882 Law ALZ, a new Army organisation was introduced. This law is one of the greatest landmarks in the history of Military Finance, based on which was the foundation stone of the Finance Corps. The law dictated the reasons for the establishment of the Corps as follows:
“To conduct the financial services of the army we establish the Finance Corps bearing its own seniority”.
In 1914 the Finance Corps was abolished and the Corps of Commissariat was established. The first Commissariat officers were transferred from the arms and from the abolished Finance Corps.
In 1946 the Commissariat was abolished and Finance services Branch F was established up to 1949,when by RL 888/1949 the Corps of Finance Services was established and its mission was defined.
By the end of 1970, by L.D.562/1970 it is renamed Financial Corps. This law paves the way for the graduation of Officers of the Finance Corps from the Corps Officers Military School.